[KoaII][Round One] Bujin VS (Sauzaa)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [KoaII][Round One] Bujin VS (Sauzaa)

Scenario: Great leaps and bounds have been made in the world of science. You are a young researcher for Project Copycat, a highly controversial study that details the cloning of humans for genetic research and organ harvesting. This project is kept away from the public, and is privately funded by research lobbyists in foreign countries.

Out of spite, one of your ex-coworkers had just dropped the bomb to ABC media company, and now, not only is there talks of having the project shut down, but extreme right wing groups are planning to hold a rally in front of the facility you work at to get you and your team barred from ever practicing science again.

Your job is in danger, the public is becoming hostile over the secret project, and your investors are getting antsy over the outcry. Detail how you would handle this situation, and the resolution.

Level: 3 DIFFICULT

POV: 3rd person past tense

[Bonus: 50 points for winner over 90%]

INSTRUCTIONS: PM me your assignment within 5 days! If entries are not received, the person who did will be graded and win the round, and you will be eliminated automatically and receive no consolation prizes.

[SIZE=2]Vad: Found my dicks btw
    Vad: *DISCS
    Kaz: XD!!!!XDXDXD!!
    Kaz: oh man
    Kaz: that was an awesome typo!
    Vad: I MEANT ROUND CYLINDRICAL THINGS
    Kaz: XD XD XD
    Kaz: HAHAHHHAHHHAHA[/SIZE]

[size=6]Bujin[/size]

“One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.”

Certainly, mankind was a race and culture that was prone to making giant leaps. Human technology had progressed much farther than any generation prior could imagine, and this was only the beginning. For a race that was unable to fly at one point, it was a giant lunge in a positive direction for them to reach the heavens – outer space. For a race that was once completely ignorant of human anatomy, it was absolutely amazing that they were able to see things at a microscopic level. All of these were just examples of how far mankind had been able to leap. Unfortunately, however, some science had to be kept a secret from the public. After all, mankind was not only goal-oriented, but they were a fickle race. Some discoveries were kept out of the light to avoid public outcry.

Project Copycat was among the scientific community that aimed to keep it that way.

Those involved with this particular project had little understanding of how the media played cloning as a moral issue. Most of them didn’t see it that way at all – after all, cloning had so much potential for significant progress in not only science itself, but vast improvements with how they treated people medically. From what the public knew, nobody had created a successful human clone, but that wasn’t entirely accurate. In truth, they had created two – a male and female pair of clones that they aptly named Adam and Eve. They weren’t perfect, however. They showed no signs of awareness; no personalities to speak of, but their bodies were indeed functioning at a proper rate. They died within two years, but the knowledge they gained from that endeavor was breath-taking.

Matt Delacroix was the head of Project Copycat, and he couldn’t have been happier with how things had progressed. He had to overcome the critics of his field and his own sense of character and integrity, but they were on the verge of being able to create perfectly working organs for general use. Of course, the problem was avoiding the potential situation that he and all of his coworkers were dreading -- public outcry against what they had worked so hard to complete. Luckily, his work was steadily starting to garner the support he needed to make this thing public. That, and the promise of a better future, was all he needed to get it off without a hitch.

The young scientist yawned and shuffled the papers on his desk as he prepared to leave his office after another long day at work. Today was a dreadfully boring day compared to the days prior; he much preferred working in the lab than sitting at his desk doing paper work. That was the kind of thrill he got in his line of work – he really felt that he was making a difference in not only American society, but worldwide. So naturally, it was times like these when he felt that he was wasting his time filling out the necessary paperwork. He was actually almost glad when one of his coworkers burst through the door and looked like he had just seen a ghost.

“Matt! Matt!” he stammered. Sweat was streaming down his face – he certainly was pretty worked up about something.

“Stop calling my name like I’m a dog, Earl,” he sighed, leaning back in his chair. “What is it?”

“You remember when you had to lay off Roger last month to cut back on costs?”

“Yeah…wasn’t one of my finer moments. What’s your point?”

“Well, you pissed him off, that’s my point,” he answered hurriedly. “He’s leaked information on PC to the media. ABC’s probably going to bring a van around here fairly soon to check it out.”

Matt widened his eyes and gulped hard. That piece of information was a bit tough to swallow. He pounded the wooden surface on his desk solidly in frustration. He made sure that Roger knew the reasoning behind his firing, and really, he took the news even better than he could have hoped. To drop a bomb on him like this…it was an unexplainable wrong against him, and if he was there to explain himself, the young scientist probably would have decked him. Luckily, he wasn’t – physically harming someone wouldn’t have worked wonders with the media, to say the least.

“Have you heard from the board of directors about this?” Delacroix inquired softly.

“Yes…” Earl sighed and looked away. “They’re pinning this solely on you. You…no, we are on our own.”

Matt raised shaky hands to run through his hair as he left his place of business. This was all such a mess – his career had never been in this much trouble before, and it was only just the beginning. The only thing he could do at that point, however, was carry the situation with a grain of salt. He hadn’t been able to watch the news since he heard, and while he knew the public in general couldn’t have been too happy about what they were doing, he had to maintain a small amount of hope that they would all see the light of the work that was being done. Either fortune decided to shine on him or punch him in the face as the path to his car was impeded by a crowd of people.

“Mr. Delacroix!”

Oh, God. They were scavengers.

“Mr. Delacroix! Yeah, you! Over here!”

No, worse. They were parasites.

“Mr. Delacroix, Jessica Carter from ABC News. Would you mind if I asked you a few questions?”

The media.

“Okay, okay, okay!” he shouted, holding out his hands in order to hush the crowd of reporters and cameras that had surrounded him. “I’ll try to answer your questions, but only if they’re one at a time. Alright? Okay, please, sir.”

A single reporter using nothing but pen and paper was standing directly in front of him. He barely looked up when Matt motioned for him to speak.

“Oh, yes. Jack Malone from the Indianapolis Star,” he mentioned. “I guess the first question that everyone present would ask you would be about the kind of work you’re doing here. Sources tell me that you’re cloning and doing something they call ‘Organ harvesting’. Care to comment?”

“No, but I will,” the scientist cleared his throat. “The work that Project Copycat is doing indeed involves cloning. We hope to be able to recreate – or copy, in a sense – the cells of vital organs, like the heart. We hope to be able to create spare organs, if you will, which will be a big help for transplants and things of that nature.”

“Mr. Delacroix, some suggest that Project Copycat is creating human beings for the sole purpose of killing them. Your response?”

“The same could very well be said of abortion, miss,” the scientist sighed, avoiding the darting glares that stemmed from the mere mention of the ‘A’ word. “Obviously, there are differing opinions on both subjects.”

“So you’re claiming you are not murdering people to harvest organs,” a female reporter donning an eyesore of a red blazer suggested.

“Listen to me,” Delacroix’s eyes locked with hers in a cold glare. “The suggestion that we’re making living, thinking, feeling human beings just to kill them and rip out their hearts and lungs is a ridiculous, even insulting notion to the scientific mind.”

“Then what do you call--…”

“No more questions, please,” he turned his head and hurried past the crowd of people.

The drive home was a hectic one. He could barely keep his thoughts on the road – so many horrible things had happened all in rapid succession. ABC was no longer the only one that knew; all of the local media outlets were there to pick him apart. His eyes glazed over a bit, his driving started to get erratic, but he managed to get home in one piece. Hopefully his wife was a bit more understanding of the situation. He got his first chance to find out when he swung open the door – she was standing right in front of him.

“What the hell were you thinking!?” she immediately scolded him. Matt chuckled softly as he put up his coat and hat on their respective hooks on the wall.

“And how was your day, honey?” he asked, a tinge of sarcasm sounding in his voice.

“Oh, it was just great. Just got done watching the news,” she glared at him. “I’m impressed that you managed to make things worse for yourself with just a few short answers. I have to hand it to you, first implying that women who have abortions are murderers and then suggesting that your ‘scientific mind’ is better than everyone else’s isn’t a bad score for one conversation.”

Matt winced at the outburst, but it was an expected one. After all, Stephanie had been working for one of the top television companies in the mid-west, so she had become his biggest critic whenever he appeared on TV. He was actually starting to wonder if her anger went further than pure criticism, though. She legitimately looked pissed, and that “look” that Steph always gave tended to tear right through him. Hell, it was starting to make him nervous. However, his fears were laid to rest as her features softened a bit.

“That aside, though,” she started, walking up to him slowly and resting her head on his shoulder as they embraced, “…I’m scared for you. The media isn’t taking this very well.”

“I know,” he sighed, squeezing her just a little bit tighter.

“I don’t know if you’ve been able to catch the news lately, but…” she hesitated, pulling away just enough so that she could look him in the eye, “…some extremist group is planning on holding a rally outside of your office. Apparently, they want to ban you from science.”

Matt opened his mouth to say something – anything – but the words just died in his throat.

“Do you know what you’re going to do?”

“…no…”

“Well…” she leaned up to kiss him. “Whatever you decide, I’m here for you. I know you’ll make the right decision.”

Days passed, and the tidal wave that the public and media brought on refused to subside. The pressure to denounce his work only got worse as the time went on, and not less than his entire career in science was at stake. No matter how many times he was pressured, and even suggested by close friends, to deny everything that he had worked so hard to do, he couldn’t bring himself to do it. It wasn’t easy to just cast aside something he believed in so passionately, but he was starting to feel as though he had no choice. After all, his family was more important to him, and they needed the money to sustain their current lifestyle.

Taking the advice of several legal counsels, Matt set up a press conference in order to clear the air once and for all. Everyone in the media just assumed that he was going to denounce the project and everything accomplished; apparently that’s all anyone wanted from him. The scientist, however, was having trouble deciding. Even when the time came for him to step up to the microphone in front of several flashing lights and eagerly awaiting ears, he couldn’t make up his mind. He decided to just say the first thing that came to his mind…and heart.

“Hello, everyone. Thank you for coming,” he began hesitantly, glancing to the side. It felt like he was alone; the only people that came to stand with him were Stephanie and Earl. He figured the rest of them decided to duck out of the spotlight, hoping to save their jobs. Shaking his head, he continued. “I’m afraid I don’t really have much to say, but I need to…you know, clear the air so to speak. Obviously, the progress I have made has been disputed – many feel that it is wrong to be…doing what we’ve been doing. Really, I guess all I have to say is…”

He choked on his words again. He knew what he had to do – everyone was leaning forward in anticipation as he opened his mouth to speak.

“…I don’t agree. I legitimately feel that any and all arguments made against Project Copycat are invalid and based upon ignorance,” he winced as those words left his mouth. Oh well, he went too far to go back now. “If all we wanted to do was steal someone’s organs, do you really think we’d go through all of the trouble to figure out something as complicated as the cloning process? I sincerely believe that what I’ve accomplished will benefit mankind, and I will not…I repeat, will not deny that. Thank you.”

With that, he turned away from the microphone and started walking away. The room was deathly silent – even the flashing of the cameras had stopped as nobody could believe what had just transpired. As Matt walked by, Earl stopped him by grabbing his arm.

“…you know they’ll have your head for this,” he explained gravely. Matt merely looked at him blankly and shrugged.

“Then let them have it. They won’t stop progress for long,” he sighed, starting to walk away as he continued speaking. “If it’s not me, it’ll be somebody else.”

Six months later…

“And now we apply the formula…” Matt commented with intense focus as he held a bottle filled with a strange kind of solution. “…and…voila! The stain is gone!”

Things went just as the scientist – or rather, former scientist – had feared. The right-wing group forced him out of the science field forever, and he struggled to find work for a while afterward. Luckily, Stephanie managed to pull some strings and made him the new spokesperson for the televised product, Oxyclean. It was a significant step down, but hey…work was work.

“And that’s the cleaning power of Oxyclean! Call now to order!”

“And…cut! Well done, Mr. Delacroix. We’ll call you,” the director called out through a megaphone before he hopped out of his chair and into another room. His wife had been standing behind the camera for the duration of the infomercial – if was her loving support that got him through this. Matt walked up to her, and they linked arms as they began to walk out of the studio.

“Baby steps, dear,” she smiled softly, whispering in his ear. “Baby steps.”

[SIZE=2]Vad: Found my dicks btw
    Vad: *DISCS
    Kaz: XD!!!!XDXDXD!!
    Kaz: oh man
    Kaz: that was an awesome typo!
    Vad: I MEANT ROUND CYLINDRICAL THINGS
    Kaz: XD XD XD
    Kaz: HAHAHHHAHHHAHA[/SIZE]

[size=6]Bujin[/size]

OVER