Anyria

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The Best Teacher

As you roleplay the misadventures of your character, they will gain Experience Points (XP) that can be used to gain strength and learn spells. The XP gain from each post will be done automatically and displayed. In addition to gaining spells, XP can also be used to increase the number of Crystals your character can carry at once as well as purchase the crystals themselves. There will only be one form of currency and it's used to purchase everything. Nice and easy, right?

Power Up

When you want to purchase a spell, simply post the spell description in this thread along with how many crystals you want the spell to take and what Faction the spell is associated with. A staff member will them tell you how much XP that spell will require for your character to learn. Not all characters will learn all spells at the same rate, though. The more proficient your character is in a specific Faction, the easier it will be for them to learn that type of magic.

The more crystals a spell requires, the more powerful the spell will be. For example, your character may have a Fireball spell that requires only one Fire Crystal, but it will not be particularly powerful. Another character may have a Fireball spell that requires three Fire Crystals and, as you can imagine, that second Fireball will pack a significantly more potent punch.

In some cases, a staff member may step in and say that a specific spell will require more crystals than a player wants to use. Hopefully that won't have to happen too often. Just try not to get greedy with doing too much with very few crystals. We want people to be able to do what they with their characters, but the "Game" part of Role-Play Game does require some oversight.

"It's on my brain, driving me insane.  It's on my mind, all of
      the time, and if it left... I would be fine.
      "

• Let's walk through a character sheet together. This should be everything you need to know in order to create your character.

Character Sheet
      Name: Bill Yen
      Sex: Male
      Region: Forar

Slots
      Region: Fire
      Empty

Magic
      Tek – 2
      Song – 4
      Ink – 4

Spells

Tek:
      None

Song:
      Firebolt (1 Fire)

Ink:
      None

Inventory

None

Description
      Some words.

Bio
      Some more words.
      Here we can see a sample character named "Bill Yen."

The first couple pieces are pretty self explanatory. The only thing to really say here is that your character's name be the same as your forum name in one way or another. If your forum name is a nickname for your character, include that when you put in their name. So if my forum account was "Awesomeness" I would want to put "Bill 'Awesomeness' Yen." "Yes please" is not one of the available choices for sex.

Each character, basically, starts with two Crystal slots. One of the starting slots is designated "Region" and the type of Crystal in that slot is determined by the Region your character was born in. Makes sense. That crystal can never be changed or removed, so give it a little bit of thought before choose what you want for your character. Just because your character is from Forar, though, doesn't mean you only have to use fire spells. It just means that you'll always have access to a Fire Crystal.

A character can have more slots than Crystals and any empty slots will be marked as "Empty" on a roster. All starting characters, for example, will have an empty slot. You'll eventually be able to purchase a crystal and fill that slot, but that will require some XP, which will require some writing.

Magic is probably the most complicated thing on the sheet and even that is pretty easy. Each character starts with 10 Faction points that they split up however they want. The more points a character dedicates to a specific Faction, the easier it will be for them to learn spells of that Faction. If you want to be super specialized, you can put all 10 points into a single Faction and be able to easily learn those spells, but at the cost of being able to learn others as easily. In order to learn spells of a given Faction, though, you must have at least 1 point in it. If you have zero Tek, for example, you can't learn any Tek magic. As you can see, Bill Yen can use spells of any Faction and is equally adept at Song and Ink spells, but his Tek isn't on the same level.

Next up is the "Spell" section of the roster, which shows which spells a character has mastered. The spells are sorted by the Faction they belong to and how many crystals that spell requires. Pretty straight forward.

Each character starts with 10 XP that they can use to immediately buy a spell or two to go along with their Region Crystal or they can save it to be used later for more Slots or Crystals.

If your character has more Crystals than Slots or has unequipped their Crystals for whatever reason, they will be listed in your Inventory.

The Description and Bio of your character will be where you write some words about where your character came from and what they look like. In many cases, magic seems to have mutated mages, giving birth to unique features. Sometimes these mutations are extreme, such as a prehensile tail or a pair of wings, while other times it is much more subtle such as having cat-like pupils or an otherwise unnatural hair color, so feel free to make your character look unique. In addition to the Description of your character, you can associate a picture of what they look like. If you want your character to look like Boba Fett, for example, you could use a picture of him. Just try to make sure no one is already using a character you want to use.

To summarize, here's what your character starts with:
      -A permanent Region Crystal
      -An Empty Slot
      -10 XP

"

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kaden ().

• That might actually be everything. All the mechanical stuff is pretty straight forward. If anyone sees anything that doesn't make sense, isn't explained, or needs to be added, let me know. I think it's everything someone needs to make a character and start writing, though.

"

• It took me a while to read all this, but I like the idea a lot. I like how the different forms of magic can be used in different ways, and I think a more defined description of what's allowed/disallowed with certain magic types (for a rough example, singing magic can't effect the caster, tek magic can only create items and ink can only effect the item it's transcribed on or... SOMETHING like that.)

I've kind of fallen off with this site because nobody was posting anything, but I'd be more than happy to help with anything you need for this.

EDIT: Also, I think some kind of "special" crystals would be cool to hand out for events and stuff like that. They'd fill a crystal slot and have kind of special effect on spells that used it. They'd be rare, but not necessarily more POTENT than any other crystal. You could even make it so that there's only 1 of that type of crystal and characters had to fight for it or willingly pass it off. I think that would add a kinda cool "Dragonball" aspect to the game, but with the items in a fairly constant flux.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sigfried Hunin ().

• I was thinking about Crystals with dual elements or Crystals that counted as more than one of a single element. There could be one of each, but that would allow for a bunch of them for people to fight over.

I don't really want to put too many limitations on what people can do with a given type of magic. The method of casting is primarily flavor and I don't mind that people can do whatever with any of the Factions. Looking at it with a min/max mindset, yeah that means there's no reason to do anything but specialize in one Faction, but that's fine with me. I want to do something that's more story oriented and has a very minimal emphasis on stats and rosters and such.

Thanks for reading through it, though. I always like having more feedback to process.

"

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kaden ().

• Kaden wrote:

I was thinking about Crystals with dual elements or Crystals that counted as more than one of a single element. There could be one of each, but that would allow for a bunch of them for people to fight over.

I don't really want to put too many limitations on what people can do with a given type of magic. The method of casting is primarily flavor and I don't mind that people can do whatever with any of the Factions. Looking at it with a min/max mindset, yeah that means there's no reason to do anything but specialize in one Faction, but that's fine with me. I want to do something that's more story oriented and has a very minimal emphasis on stats and rosters and such.

Thanks for reading through it, though. I always like having more feedback to process.

For sure man, I really like the idea. I was also wondering if it would be possible to do non-elemental based magic, and if so, how would you do that? For example could a person ever create a mind-reading spell? If so, you could give each one of the elements a less LITERAL association like "Water deals in matters of the mind," something kind of like the elemental associations in Western zodiacs, or like the elemental associations with Chakras, where the natures of the element is representative of more complex ideals. Passion being related to fire, for example. You could even make characters mix and match crystals in that way to get more complicated effects.

All in all, I'm just wondering about if/how a character can effects that don't directly relate to throwing said element.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Yeah, I was thinking about that earlier.

I'll probably just end up saying something like "though all crystals are tied to a specific element, they can be used as conduits for raw magical energy, allowing mages to cast non-elemental spells."

"

• Kaden wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking about that earlier.

I'll probably just end up saying something like "though all crystals are tied to a specific element, they can be used as conduits for raw magical energy, allowing mages to cast non-elemental spells."

And does each one then have a general area of influence, or do players just kinda guesstimate what crystals are required for certain complex spells?
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Lore is done.

The final two pieces will be descriptions of regions, along with small descriptions of their leaders, and some sample spells for each faction.

"

• I thought of a game mechanic possibility on the way into work today.

Basically the idea was that you could shatter a crystal/crystals in order to make a super potent version of a previously existing spell that uses that crystal. The downside of this would be, obviously, that you would no longer have that crystal until you purchased another one.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • I considered something like that with a system that would let people get temp crystals for, like, sagas and stuff and these could be really strong.

I have mixed feelings about it. For that to be worth it, it would have to basically be "I do this and win" for whatever they're doing. Not big on adding a "spend X XP to win whatever fight I want" mechanic. At least not when I don't have a great feel for what kind of XP people will have sitting around.

If something like that gets added, it will be an expansion type of thing.

"

• Kaden wrote:

I considered something like that with a system that would let people get temp crystals for, like, sagas and stuff and these could be really strong.

I have mixed feelings about it. For that to be worth it, it would have to basically be "I do this and win" for whatever they're doing. Not big on adding a "spend X XP to win whatever fight I want" mechanic. At least not when I don't have a great feel for what kind of XP people will have sitting around.

If something like that gets added, it will be an expansion type of thing.

Well certainly if you make the crystals themselves somewhat replacable it would only be a small favor.

OR, perhaps its only unusable for the duration of the fight or on some other kind of counter like /week ?

EDIT: also, its kind of along the same vein of a power up. It just adds drama and potence to a scene, an escalation of force
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sigfried Hunin ().