Computer Issues...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Computer Issues...

So initially I thought it was my... Graphics card... and with the side open ... a heat sync screwed down... and a fan onit... I left today and the computer died.

The monitor recognized connection... but something in the computer didnt work...

Unplugged and replugged it all.... Computers Fan just kept blowing...

Going with my sister to get a new one tomorrow...

But there are still things on my old Hard Drive I want...

Are most computers still plug and play? Can plug the Hard Drive into another computer... and get the files?

Reb: ya know
      Reb: I think you're a fucking moron OOC
      Reb: but I have to hand it to you
      Reb: you've become a really great writer
    • Computer Issues...

You can, but your harddrive may have been the problem, or part of it. If anyone has an old laptop they no longer use, test it on that first. Or, alternatively, I believe you can get the GeekSquad to transfer your stuff for you, if you buy your new tech from them.
    • Computer Issues...

Its a Desktop...hard Drive...

And i'm going to a Rent to by type place...

Anyone want to give me some numbers on Ram and Process numbers that could play Lol without lag while running antivirus?

• Computer Issues...

Shit...get at least 4 gb of ram and nothing older than a Core 2 duo processor. Anybody will tell you it all depends how much your willing to spend but if you're going to compromise I wouldn't suggest going beyond that.

Also, if you know how to connect it then you should be able to plug your old hdd into the new tower as long as you got enough power ports and a sata cable for it (also a additional females in the chipset which newer pc's usually have). The only issue I would imagine you might have is if, like Blue pointed out , the hard drive itself is part of the problem. If it isn't then you'll be able to boot from your old hdd and just take advantage of the extra memory from the new hd. I would suggest learning how to partition however, to better protect your data in the future.

On a side note. Coke and Jack are my new best friends.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Shun ().

• Computer Issues...

Which is better?

Specifications
      • Intel® Pentium® G2020 processor
      • Windows 8
      • 23" backlit LED Full HD (1920x1080)
      • 16:9 widescreen display
      • 4GB DDR3 memory, 1TB HDD storage
      • Integrated 802.11n Wi-Fi connectivity
      • Integrated DVD reader/writer drive
      • USB 2.0 connectors & 6 in 1 card reader
      • Integrated 720p HD webcam
      • Lenovo Dynamic Brightness System – protects your eyes by automatically adjusting screen brightness based on ambient light conditions.
      • Lenovo Eye Distance System – alerts if you are too close to the screen.
      • HD graphics support
      • Stereo speakers supporting Dolby® Advanced Audio v2 certification
      • YouCam –for facial tracking and image effects
      • Smart space-saving all-in-one design
      • Clutter-free cable management
      • Lenovo® Cloud
      • Lenovo® Rescue System for data backup and recovery

or

• Windows 8 Operating System
      • AMD E1-1200 Accelerated Processor
      • 4GB PC3-8500 DDR3-1066 SDRAM memory
      • AMD Radeon™ HD 7310 Graphics
      • 500GB 7200RPM Serial ATA hard drive
      • Integrated speakers
      • HP TrueVision HD Webcam: 720p HD and built in microphones
      • 20" diagonal widescreen HD LED backlit Display
      • 1600x900 pixels
      • ENERGY STAR® qualified

• Computer Issues...

Waffuru wrote:

1st one is better. should be no problem connecting an old hard drive. if you are worried get a enclosure so you can connect it via usb.

Should mention that it WONT boot if you plug it in. The new computer will need a reinstall.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Fighting to the bitter end is an advantage when your opponent does not wish to perish.[/FONT]
    • Computer Issues...

DOnt know how that will work... The computer I wound up getting is.... an AIO... Didnt know they made Towerless computers....

ANyone want to give me tips on understanding how this Windows 8 works?

• Computer Issues...

Waffuru wrote:

As long as you don't select it as the boot device you should be fine. It won't boot your old OS, no. But the Windows 8 already on the machine probably won't have any issues seeing all those files.

The most trouble he'll run into is if he tries to run executables off the drive. He might run into NFS file permission issues. Other than that it's plug n play like you said.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Fighting to the bitter end is an advantage when your opponent does not wish to perish.[/FONT]
    • Computer Issues...

I'm more concerned that the HD may have a short, which burned out his previous laptop. While it's unlikely that's the problem, even the possibility should make him use caution. I'd rather spend a little money on a docking station than have to replace a PS in a new PC.
    • Computer Issues...

Today's PSU models should have a sensor that detects shorts in the line. If this is the case it will not power on if there is one.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]