Website Design

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Website Design

Since I'm using this venue again...

So I've recently decided to expand my résumé! For a while I've been doing minor free lance things here and there having to do with graphic design, company branding, etc. and recently it's been a bit, well... slow. I've been preparing to set aside some time for some proper college courses regarding the matter of learning website designing but I'd also thought I'd bring myself up here and see any there was anyone with any experience (or knows of anyone) who could possibly link me up with some helpful pages for getting my feet wet.
    • Website Design

reddit.com/r/web_design/

I'm a big fan of sub-reddits for this sort of thing. Having a community is extremely useful for learning, and active sub-reddits have a diverse set of digestible information that's constantly being posted, as well as a significant backlog of material.

If you're interested in web programming as well, /r/learnprogramming has a good amount of material; some of it won't be relevant to web programming so much, but it's mostly generalized enough to be useful to programmers of all stripes

Mal Nova wrote:

I do apologize for using the word rape. There are four separate definitions for the word rape, two of which describe vegetation...
    • Website Design

w3schools.com is also pretty friggin awesome. It leans more towards the coding side. CSS and HTML will become pretty important when putting together something.

Man alone measures time.
      Man alone chimes the hour.
      And, because of this, man alone suffers a paralyzing fear no other creature endures.
      A fear of time running out.
      ― Mitch Albom, The Time Keeper
    • Website Design

W3 schools has a pretty bad reputation from what I've seen. I don't know the exact details, but the general thrust is that their information is pretty sketchy, and they offer 'certifications' (by way of paid classes) that have absolutely no clout whatsoever in the general market.

EDIT: Meant to link this also developer.mozilla.org/en-US/

Mal Nova wrote:

I do apologize for using the word rape. There are four separate definitions for the word rape, two of which describe vegetation...

The post was edited 1 time, last by Jonathan Meer ().

• Website Design

Yeah, don't pay attention to the certs lol. I always thought they were a joke.

Man alone measures time.
      And, because of this, man alone suffers a paralyzing fear no other creature endures.
    • Website Design

Very nice. I was recommended W3 before a while back from a friend but it came off a bit overwhelming at the time, even that front page is intimidating for me who doesn't know the first thing to look for. :P I'll give it a whirl this time around though now that I can bookmark it for reference.
    • Website Design

While it helps to sometimes have a degree (a real one) of some sort, all you really need to do is start a portfolio (you can even make a website portfolio) with designs and shit. Hell, try deviantart. They have communities of web designers and ideas you can check out. There is a huge difference between someone who has a passion for it, and someone who wants to just make money by throwing shit together. Those who do it for the passion, I think, have better results.

Man alone measures time.